What Should Be In Every Writer's Office

I've done this type of review before, but it is time to update this list. One of the reasons I want to do this now is because January is slow, and there are several professional freelance writers, book writers, ghostwriters, and professional book editors following my blog in the last two weeks.

I wasted a lot of time and money in my early days because I had the wrong equipment.
First on my list is Dell. I know that they do not have the best reputation for equipment, but their customer service is invaluable. I spent 3 hours online yesterday while a tech rep help me fix my DVD driver. This is not the first time they have helped me solve a problem.

Dell also has a service pack, not the one bought with the computer, where they come onto your computer and clean up - this has saved me hundreds of dollars.
700 meg speed is the minimum you need.
Pent 4 (Please Mac people, don't send death threats :)
A good optical card
500 ram. However, you will need 1000 ram to run Vista, so it might be a good idea to buy the extra.
10gig Hard drive. I have more, but you won't need it.
DVD driver
Network card
dock - even if you buy a used one
AVG Antivirus (free) but the paid version works best
ZoneAlarm Firewall (free)

Ghost is a software program that lets you copy your hard drive and store it somewhere else, maybe on a external hard drive. I would like to tell you to buy an external hard drive for backing up - but you won't do it.

I am looking for a software program that will blend MSN, Yahoo etc. Live messaging into one viewer, but haven't found one I like. I love MSN, but now that it is a paid service for new people, I don't recommend it anymore.

Download new javascript www.java.com - you need this for Vista
Download Fire Fox - it will quickly become your favorite browser
Use the popup blocker in your browser menu, and your Google/yahoo bar - do not buy one.

Lavasoft spyware is the best, and it is free. I also use Yahoo's. It seems that the files one misses, the other catches. However, as you've been told before, do not store your passwords on your PC. And, clear your cookies and cache every couple of weeks - and change your passwords every few months.

I bought my first laptop last summer. As I sit in bed recouping, I think about all the years that I lost about 1 - 2 months work in the winter because I was not breathing well enough to stay awake.

I have taken my laptop to the library and copied information from books. This saves me on research.

All laptops should have a 'worm light' This is a short light that its into a USB port and lights the keyboard. My hubby came home with this device for two reasons. First, he is a dollar store addict and is always coming home with this type of stuff. Second, because he always buys me little gadgets - in some cases - they really help.

It took me a while to set up the light, but once I had it 'just right' my eye strain reduced.

You need a good tower. This is something that can be upgraded when new equipment and hardware comes out. This way, you never need to buy another new system.

You need a good monitor to reduce eye strain. I have one old monitor for magazine work, it has 'true colors' still. But, every other monitor is a flat one.

You need a $100 monitor. I am not going into this more than I did last June/July. It took seven months for my tendons to heal.

You need wireless Internet - I know you are going to ignore this, but I regret daily that I do not have wireless.

You need computers with network cards. When I bought my main computer I omitted the network card - bad idea. I cannot use a 'real' dock. I need to FTP transfer stuff between my four computers.

Your computer should also have extra USB ports.

I have a photocopier - but you don't need one.

I have a photo printer - but that is not necessary.

However, if you ever do have the extra money for them - or if you are in the novel industry - they are a good idea. I save hundreds of dollars making 'review galleys'. However, the double side feature on my photocopier doesn't work anymore, so it isn't as handy.

Keyboards need to hang under desks or tables. Do not work on a kitchen table. If you do not have a good desk, then go to a hardware store and get one of those brown tables that they use at flea markets, the fold up ones. They are at the right height, again, if you loose your wrist then you loose your income.

With a good keyboard tray, you need a gel wrist pad. These cost $10 - $30 and are not optional.

You should also have one of those the trays made to fit under a monitor and lift it. You'll be amazed at how much one of these will reduce back pain.

You need VOIP phone (Internet Phone). I can connect with clients anywhere in north America - it cuts down on a lot of rewrites and improves my image.

You should have a router even if you only have one computer and no lap top - other computers will come. I can work on two computers at a time. This is not as efficient as it was in the old days (thanks XP) but one computer can be open to MSN, email, etc... while the other is working on graphics or articles.

You should also have an optical mouse and a good mouse pad. I toss my mouse every three months. Optimally, I should toss it at 2 months, but my frugal Welsh hubby would have a hernia because it still works. However, when I have a new mouse I do not need to move my wrist. Light movements of the fingers work. I don't spend more than $10 on a mouse. I use to buy the expensive ones, but never saw a difference.

You need a good desk lamp that will take a fluorescent bulb. I have one that takes one of those fish tank/green house 'sunlight' bulbs. I am not sure if this gives me enough sunlight to prevent SAD, but it does make me feel better.

A case of bottled water should always sit under your desk - you'll drink more.
A good office chair - even if you buy a used one. If you can't get one, then use a straight back dining chair. Do not use a kitchen table chair. Do not use a folding chair.

You also need a foot rest. A good chair, foot rest, keyboard and monitor at the right levels - and you'll work 10+ hours a day without back pain.

***

BTW - I am getting back to the series on writing articles - but the file is on my other computer, in the office, and I cannot dock and extract because I didn't buy a network card.



My 'teaching blog' for people who want a 'real' freelance writing career.

Novel Writer Magazine

No comments: