How To Make Money Blogging

I had an interesting post from someone who claims to make $300 a week blogging. While I don't doubt this, it does bring up the topic of marketing plans.

The marketing plan I teach at this blog is for work at home and freelance writing professionals. The purpose is to help them build a clientele of people who want to buy their writing.
In our world, making $300 a week from Google is not a good thing - because the only way to make money from Google is to have someone leave your site because they didn't find what they were looking for.

In our type of marketing, we need to prove that we are efficient, expert, and able to deliver, by giving people 'answers to their problems' and helping them 'learn.' Only then will they trust us enough to buy our articles and ask us to write in their blogs.

"I haven't heard of Web2.0" - this is a main problem with most people who want to make money on the web. It was our problem.

inspiredauthor.com our number one 'free' learning site, once offered the writers a viable income. We were #1 on book reviews and had a major fan base. We did not keep up with the SEO developments and within 3 months we lost all of our hits - hundreds of thousands of hits were gone.

It took us more than 18 months to recover because we had to play catch up to the sites which were 'keeping up.' Web2.0 is active.

The browser 'hijacking' of the web through the new - customized search - that keeps a user's history in the PC/Mac and uses that to help the user find sites in the future (which seems to also direct them to the higher PPC sites) is also alive and kicking.

We optimized for Web2.0 last year. Sites that are just now optimizing are at the bottom of the pile. The problem with web2.0 is that webmasters will not be able to invest 3 months, or $5000, to bring their sites up to spec.

Because it takes months to build a network. And, once you are in the network, and your browser saves your history, the network will keep popping up near or at the top of searches.

That is why Donna's Fantasy section at inspiredauthor (which has already reached the 200 article 'golden' mark) has more than 80 000 hits only 3 months after it went live..... and Sharon Hurley Hall is on page #1 for ghostwriter - because they have invested a lot of time in networking.

When everyone else realizes that Vista will only make the 'selective browser based on history search' more powerful, it will be too late. People who start networking now will be years ahead.

I learned my lesson the hard way. I now update my SEO marketing certification every year. Am I saying that the old methods won't work - of course not. They will work. What I am saying is that they will not work for people who make their money by 'keeping them on the website' or for people who need to build a client base or fan base.
BTW - I am also lea
rning a lot about CMS web design. Take a look at what I put online at the school writersonlinecourses.com I still have a lot of work, but I think I am rather pleased.
My 'teaching blog' for people who want a 'real' freelance writing career.

Novel Writer Magazine

No comments: