How Much $$ Does Multitasking Costing You?

I use to be an amazing multitasker. I can still hold up to six IM conversations while checking my emails.

However, I have learned that multitasking increases stress, drains me so that I do not want to spend time with 'life' at the end of the day, and it actually decreases my productivity.

It can be difficult to conduct a business without multitasking. Many freelance writers find themselves working on several projects at once. Work at Home professionals are forced to promote, manage the home, manage their business, and have a life - all at the same time.

However, multitasking costs time, and is money.

It took me about two years to learn how to organize my time, reducing the need for multitasking, and improving my productivity.

There is no secret. Everyone must find their own comfort-zone. I can give you some tips though.

1. Plan to do one job a day - if possible. When done that job, then start a second task.

2. Open your emails, etc. first thing in the morning - then don't go back that day unless you finish your work.

3. Turn MSN and the telephone off when you have a major task to complete in one day.

4. Set a time limit for research. Do not research until you have 'enough.' A time limit will force you to work faster and smarter. When you have reached the end of your time limit, start writing. When finished, decide then if you need more research. Or, write your project in parts.
5. Do not do housework in 'work' time.

6. Expect your family to assist in house cleaning, laundry, etc...as if you worked out of the house. OR, tell them that the business money is business money. Hubby cannot dip into it because he is low this month. Business money is not bill money. If the family wants it, they help around the house, if not - then you can write off a maid (in Canada and the USA) and it is part of the business expenses.

7. Have a set number of work hours.

8. Learn to say no.

9. Do not let your emotional state control what you do. I've noticed that many work at home professionals make comments like 'I don't feel well', 'I didn't feel like it.'

10. Keep track of how many hours you devote to each task. Over time, this will teach you to work more productively, and it will help you determine how much time you really invest in a week.

One woman I talked to was frustrated. She had tried to get into freelance writing for seven months, but was still not making any money. After writing down her week, she found she only 'actively' worked for 19 - 22 hours. So, I told her she hadn't 'worked' for seven months - but if she considered a 40 hour work week, then she only worked for about three months.


My 'teaching blog' for people who want a 'real' freelance writing career.

Novel Writer Magazine

No comments: