Freelance Writing and Research

I've talked to a few new freelance writers recently on writing articles. I noticed a disturbing trend among the new writers that will eventually come back and kick them.
I've named this trend cocooning. This refers to writers who close themselves up with their writing, in an office, and work. They completely tune the world out.

These writers do not read books, magazines, watch television shows on their niche, watch videos, take workshops - the list goes on.

The disturbing part of this trend is that these same freelance writers have time to watch movies, favorite shows, or read a romance novel. While this type of de-stressing is important, it is not conducive to creating a 'profitable mindset' in the freelance writer.

For example, I can usually tell which of my students watch a lot of sitcoms and which ones read - just by the way they talk.

Last Friday's chat was on passive voice (www.enspirenpress.com - 7 eastern - all welcome). We discussed how passive voice - the voice we talk in - creeps into our writing.

The same thing happens when we watch television. We loose our freelance writer's voice and end up writing like a character on television. Also, when we avoid learning from our niche, we never develop the 'industry lingo' that our clients consider 'good writing.'

There are ways to 'tune in.' One great way is to tune into a Podcast. These are Internet radio stations, or 'streaming links' that feed you a constant diet of information on your topic.

Another way is to sign up for industry newsletters - and read them.

If you own cable then I am sure you'll find some 1/2 decent shows. I write 30 home decorating articles a month. To feed myself, I watch a lifestyle talk show. I listen for new lingo, products, or - anything - that I haven't seen on the web. I don't have cable - so there might be more out there.

My #1 resource - magazines. Their articles are timeless. I have hundreds of magazines that I use to inspire myself.

My #2 resource – association newsletters. These newsletters give you better information than is on the web, and usually hasn't been cannibalized – yet.
My #3 resource – Forums… but I never use the information as 'truth' just opinion.



http://inspiredauthor.blogspot.com/

No comments: