When Are You Most Productive?

There are a wide variety of reasons that people start to freelance. Freelancing provided me with the ability to stay at home with my children.

What is Good Advice?

This blog post was inspired by a 'freelance blog' which had posts like: How to Become an Early Riser, How to Fit Housework into Your Day, How to Organize Work Around Kids....

This type of post may sound good, and may sound like helpful advice, but it is self-destructive in the long run.

I have found that I can be a mom and freelance worker, a housekeeper and freelance worker, a chauffer and freelance worker - anything x2 works, but add that third element and freelance income goes down the drain.

Income

I never thought too much about lost income. By the time that I added up car expenses, clothing, lunches, coffee, cell expenses, supplies (brief case, pager, $25 pen, bla bla bla) - I could make less than 1/3 of my 'real world' income and earn more of a profit.

Productivity

The first milestone I reached in my career was learning that my most productive time of the day was not 9-5. I work best between midnight and 4 am.

Last night I set up a blog system, a mailing list, resolved a PHP problem, fixed layout on a website, redesigned a website template, and chatted with two people.

People do not consider freelance work 'viable.' It would be okay in most homes for a person to work the night shift, but freelance writers are often made to feel (self indulgent, selfish, inept, add your word) if they try to 'act' like freelancing is a real job.

I've talked about this before, and I'll probably talk about it again, because it is vital that new freelance writers know they are not the only ones facing these problems.







Learn to Write Free
Novel Writer Magazine
Writers Online Courses
Get Paid To Write




----------------
Visit More Learning Sites:
inspiredauthor
Get Your Book Published
Get Paid To Write
How I Built a Career

No comments: